Electric Cooling Blanket: Sleep Better
Even in the winter, when I have blankets on to stay warm, there are times I wake up too hot and need to cool down. I hate sweating when I sleep, so I’ve learned over the years to stick my feet out from the covers to get my body temperature just right. Obviously, this doesn’t allow for too many comfortable sleeping positions; that was until I got myself an electronic cooling blanket, and life has been so much better.
I used to travel a lot for business and hated hotel beds. I could never get adjusted to the heat of the room or the thickness of the blankets. My boyfriend would always tell me to just kick the blankets off, but that didn’t work either as I prefer the comfort of having covers on my body as I sleep. I’ll admit, I’m just a picking sleeper that needs the temperature to be just right.
Temperature is easily one of the biggest obstacles to getting quality sleep. Studies have found that the optimal temperature for the best quality sleep is cooler than you may think, around 60 to 67 degrees Fahrenheit (15-20°C). Temperatures that fall too far below or above this range can lead to restlessness. Temperatures in this ideal sleeping range help facilitate the decrease in core body temperature that in turn initiates sleepiness. Getting into that perfect sleeping temperature zone can be difficult due to warmer climates, the heating of your home or simply laying next to someone who naturally sleeps hot and warms the bed.
There is a wide range of sleeping products that market themselves as solutions for staying cool in bed. I started with a Cooling Pillow, which actually worked pretty good at first, but as I mentioned, do a lot of traveling. Packing a pillow is a waste of space in your luggage.
My goal was to find a quality electric cooling blanket that would keep my whole body at the right temperature. I quickly realized, though, you get what you paid for. I tried a few affordable cooler blanket suggestions before overpaying for a portable air conditioner. The air conditioner wasn’t worth the money and my partner didn’t like freezing every night. He asked me to return it and continue to search for a blanket that would keep me cold, not the entire room.
The following are different options for staying cool when sleeping. Some are electric cooling blanket options, others are cooling pads.
Sensadream Cooling Weighted Blanket
Size: 15 lbs, 60×80, Queen Size– 144 Reviews
I have updated this article a number of times after friends and family have learned that I tend to sleep hot. The same questions often come up about the type of mattress I use or pillow, but I respond every time the same way by telling them I have tried everything. However, every once in a while a new product will come out on the market that I’ll have to test out. And oddly enough, despite the name of this article being for best electric cooling blankets, more and more new products are using things like bamboo to keep you cool.
The Sensadream cooling blanket is a weighted quilt made with 100% cotton and filled with non-toxic hypoallergenic glass beads. The outer cover is made with 100% Bamboo on one side and soft Minky fabric on the other side. The dual-sided cover is designed to help you maintain the right temperature throughout the seasons. When cold use the Minky side for warmth and when hot simply flip the blanket over to the bamboo side to cool down.
Before I bought this blanket, I read over the 100+ positive reviews on Amazon for more info on the Cooling effects. Naturally, I get that this is a high-quality weighted blanket, but my interests are staying at a normal temperature and not waking up from being too hot. I had read that bamboo can help with this problem and that most people think when they’re hot, they need cold air to cool down. Yet, if you can keep your body temperature and a normal rate, you shouldn’t wake up.
Please keep in mind: If you live in a very warm climate, these blankets aren’t going to solve your problem with the heat. The goal here is not waking up cause you tend to sweat in your sleep.
My Verdict: I was impressed. While this product is a little on the pricing side, it’s a great blanket. Very true to the many reviews on Amazon. I think this is a good all-around blanket that will help people who have trouble sleeping in different temperatures.Purchase
OMYSTYLE Warming & Cooling Weighted Blanket
Great fro Adults and Kids (25lb, 60 X 80 Inches)– 3140 Reviews
Recently Updated: This is a new item added to the list.
This multi-purpose Warming & Cooling Weighted Blanket might be exactly what you’re looking for. The best part is when you view the product page on Amazon, there are 15 different size options. Now you can customize your purchase to fit whatever sleeping needs you’re after. The OMYSTYLE premium Weighted Blanket makes it easy for you to fall asleep naturally, and wake up feeling rested and ready to conquer your day. A lot of the reviewers seem to be after the cooling features, but obviously, if this blanket can serve as a heated blanket for the winter then you’ve increased the value of your purchase.
Cleaning is not a problem: Machine-washable on a low, and gentle setting.
Tip: To help make the coolness last longer, put the mat in the fridge or freezer for a few hours before using it. This just became my routine when checking into a hotel room. When I unpacked, I would cram the cooling mattress pad in the mini-fridge for a few hours.Purchase
2020 Mattress Cooler “Classic” Chilled Water Sleep Cooling System
Size: 2 “27×63” Cooling Pads– 152 reviews
Stay cool all night long with this new electric cooling blanket for less than a penny of electricity. This 2020 box set comes with two (27 x 63) cooling pads. Cooling pads are wear items and should be replaced every 6 months to minimize risk of leaks. Mattress-Cooler is based in Houston Texas.Purchase
Outlast Woven All-Season Temperature Regulating Blanket
This is a different approach, rather than having a cooling blanket that you plug in that makes you cold, the Outlast Woven All-Season Temperature blanket works to control your temperature. By not letting you get hot, you never need to cool down. This works great for couples that prefer different temperatures. Rather than trying to keep one person cold and the other hot, it works to keep your body temperature at peak sleeping conditions.
- Designed to wick away excess heat and prevent you from perspiring
- Balances your personal micro-climate, Outlast technology keeps you thermo-neutral
- Absorbs and stores heat and releases it when you need it most
How Does It Work?
- Your skin is exposed to temperature changes that affect the body’s micro-climate
- When you overheat, your body naturally released the excess body heat and sweats to cool the skin
- Outlast technology absorbs the excess heat and stores it in patented Outlast microcapsules called Thermocouples
- When you start to cool the stored heat is released back to the body
ChiliPad Cube 2.0
- Single (75″ L x 30″ W)
- Twin XL (80″ L x 38″ W)
- King (80″ L x 76″ W)
- Cal King (84″ L x 72″ W)
The ChiliPad Cube 2.0 is a newer product that is getting great reviews on Amazon. I haven’t tried this product personally, but it appears to be very similar to BetJet (which is the next product in this article).
The benefits of this cooling blanket allow you to set different temperatures for each sleeping person. The ChiliPad Cube 2.0 has the option to set hot to cold per side of the bed to allow your partner to be able to sleep at a totally different temperature than you. This means they don’t have to freeze if they don’t have the same sleeping issues as you’re having.
Detail & Features
- The ChiliPad Cube 2.0 electric cooling blanket utilizes an adjustable, water-based system to regulate the surface temperature of your existing mattress by actively circulating water through silicone micro-tubes in the pad
- Adjust each side to a temperature range of – 55 to -110F (12.8-43.3C)
- Designed with recovery benefits from cold therapy in mind, its cooling capabilities assist in reducing sleeplessness from hot flashes, menopause, body pain & night sweats, allowing a more relaxing sleep experience!
- Energy Efficient: power rating of 80 Watts per cube, significantly lower than A/C, and an auto-shutoff feature that activates after 10 hours
While the reviews of this product seem positive, it’s a little overpriced in my opinion. I would much rather recommend someone start with something like the YnM Cooling Weighted Blanket before jumping into such a blanket option.Purchase
BedJet V2 Climate Control for Beds, Cooling Fan + Heating Air (Dual Temperature Zone – King Size)
This is where we start to get serious about sleeping.
BetJet is the top choice here, and they have the two items that round out my list. BedJet is a more expensive product, but are excellent for controlling temperature. With disrespect to the previous items on this list, BetJet products are something you should really consider from the very beginning.
The first is BedJet V2 Climate Control. BedJet cooling is an elite choice for relief of stuffy bedrooms, hot sleepers, night sweats, and hot flashes. Cooling mode power ventilates your bed, using room temperature air to wick out body heat and body moisture nearly instantly is felt within 10 seconds. However, it’s important to keep in mind that BedJet is not an air conditioner and not a substitute for zero air conditioning in extreme heat (80 degree+) bedrooms. Room temp needs to be below 79 degrees for best cooling.
- The BetJet is a perfect electric cooling blanket option for couples. Some like it hot and some need it cool. Some just want to stay dry and others need different sleep temperatures than their partners. This is why BetJet has become so popular. Using advanced technology the BedJet sends a gentle and quiet stream of air directly into your bed for powerful cooling and warming comfort.
- Forget bundling up with heavy pajamas for chilly winter beds and give your bedding that toasty hot sauna feeling in just seconds
- Dual-zone temperature control for independent cooling/warming of each half of the bed
- No wires, no tubes, no electricity in the bed, no mattress pads to sleep on, no water to leak, lifetime washable air filter
- Fits underneath any bed with 7” space, side rail clearance only needs to be 3.5”, adjustable bed approved
I found this video that helps better demonstrate how the BedJet works:
As I had mentioned, there are two main models; the first is specifically for the King Size bed. It includes 2 BedJet base units with two wireless remotes, 1 King AirComforter sheet plus free Bluetooth App for control from your iPhone, iPad or Android device. Amazon’s current return policy (30 days) applies when purchased from Amazon.Purchase
The other BedJet model was the one I bought. The BedJet V2 Climate Single includes 1 BedJet V2 base unit with quiet digital DC motor, wireless remote control plus a free Bluetooth App for control from your iPhone, iPad or Android device, App features include auto-shutoff timers, wake up alarm, biorhythm sleep cycle settings, and custom temperature settings.
You can use the BedJet V2 with your own sheets or combine with our optional AirComforter for even better cooling performance.
I recommend buying all of these electric cooling blankets from Amazon, as you’ll get free shipping and be able to test out all the models knowing full well that Amazon has a strong return policy of 30 days. For all BetJet Models and optional AirComforters Click Here
Helpful Reminder Tips for Best Quality Sleep
Here are a few tips for getting the best night’s sleep:
- Keep a consistent bedtime routine. This helps to signal to your body that it’s time to wind down and prepare for sleep.
- Create a sleep-conducive environment. This means keeping your bedroom dark, cool, and quiet. A comfortable mattress and pillows can also help you sleep better.
- Avoid caffeine, alcohol, and heavy meals before bedtime. These can disrupt your sleep and make it difficult to fall and stay asleep.
- Try relaxation techniques, such as deep breathing or progressive muscle relaxation, to help calm your mind and body.
- Consider trying a white noise machine or earplugs to block out any disruptive sounds.
- If you’re still having trouble sleeping, consider speaking with a healthcare professional. They can help identify any underlying conditions that may be causing your sleep problems and recommend treatment options.