Electric Cooling Blanket: Sleep Better
Even in the winter when I have blankets on to stay warm there are times I wake up too hot and need to cool down. I hate sweating when I sleep so I’ve learned over the years to stick my feet out from the covers to get my body temperature just right. Obviously, this doesn’t allow for too many comfortable sleeping positions; that was until I got myself an electronic cooling blanket, and life has been so much better.
I used to travel a lot for business and hated hotel beds. I could never get adjusted to the heat of the room or the thickness of the blankets. My boyfriend would always tell me to just kick the blankets off, but that didn’t work either as I prefer the comfort of having covers on my body as I sleep. I’ll admit, I’m just a picking sleeper that needs the temperature to be just right.
Temperature is easily one of the biggest obstacles to getting quality sleep. Studies have found that the optimal temperature for the best quality sleep is cooler than you may think, around 60 to 67 degrees Fahrenheit (15-20°C). Temperatures that fall too far below or above this range can lead to restlessness. Temperatures in this ideal sleeping range help facilitate the decrease in core body temperature that in turn initiates sleepiness. Getting into that perfect sleeping temperature zone can be difficult due to warmer climates, the heating of your home or simply laying next to someone who naturally sleeps hot and warms the bed.
There is a wide range of sleeping products that market themselves as solutions for staying cool in bed. I started with a Cooling Pillow, which actually worked pretty good at first, but as I mentioned, do a lot of traveling. Packing a pillow is a waste of space in your luggage.
My goal was to find a quality electric cooling blanket that would keep my whole body at the right temperature. I quickly realized, though, you get what you paid for. I tried a few affordable cooler blankets before overpaying for a portable air conditioner. The air conditioner wasn’t worth the money and my partner didn’t like freezing every night. He asked me to return it and continue to search for a blanket that would keep me cold, not the entire room.
The following are 5 different options for staying cool when sleeping. Some are electric cooling blankets, others are cooling pads.
Human Creations: Gel’O Cool Mat Gel Topper
Size: 24 x 59 Inches for Standard Queen, King Beds
I used this cooling mattress pad for years. I got it as a gift from my parents who knew I would be traveling a lot for work and was not a morning person if I didn’t get a good night sleep. Unfortunately, I left it behind in a room in Portland. I ended up picking up something else, but would highly recommend this cooling mattress pad. This sleeping pad does not need to be plugged in.
How does it work
The goal is not about lying on an icy cold mat, but staying cool. The Gel’O Cool Mat disperses heat away from your body, keeping you at a comfortable temperature. Unlike traditional mattresses, it does not trap heat in one spot but redistributes and dissipates the heat from parts of the mat that is not in contact with the body.
Tip: To help make the coolness last longer, put the mat in the fridge or freezer for a few hours before using it. This just became my routine when checking into a hotel room. When I unpacked, I would cram the cooling mattress pad in the mini fridge for a few hours.
Cool Buddy: “Classic” Air Conditioned Mattress Pad
Size:Large 55″ x63″ Pad
The Cool Buddy pad is made of a material that feels very similar to an air mattress. Thick fabric is lined with vinyl. The pad allows the water to channel around the body and seems of a fairly reasonable construction, especially for the price point. The large pad size is recommended for cooling two people on either a King or Queen bed.
Set-up Tips: I suggest connecting the hose to the pad, and filling it up at the sink. The hose is maybe 2 feet long roughly, and if you use your sink to fill the pad through one of the hoses while leaving the other hose open for air to escape, it will make the whole process a lot less painful. I also suggest keeping the end with the hose connections elevated while filling to allow air to rush out and water to sink to the bottom of the pad while filling. Once this is done, use the stoppers that are included with the pad, and stop the hoses up. Transport to your room, and with the pad flat on the bed, and the evaporative cooler on the nightstand, connect one hose at a time while leaving the other one capped.
Outlast Woven All-Season Temperature Regulating Blanket
This is a different approach, rather than having an electric cooling blanket that makes you cold, the Outlast Woven All-Season Temperature blanket works to control your temperature. By not letting you get hot, you never need to cool down. This works great for couples that prefer different temperatures. Rather than trying to keep one person cold and the other hot, it works to keep your body temperature at peak sleeping conditions.
- Designed to wick away excess heat and prevent you from perspiring
- Balances your personal micro-climate, Outlast technology keeps you thermo-neutral
- Absorbs and stores heat and releases it when you need it most
How Does It Work?
- Your skin is exposed to temperature changes that affect the body’s micro-climate
- When you overheat, your body naturally released the excess body heat and sweats to cool the skin
- Outlast technology absorbs the excess heat and stores it in patented Outlast microcapsules called Thermocules
- When you start to cool the stored heat is released back to the body
ChiliPad Cube 2.0
- Single (75″ L x 30″ W)
- Twin XL (80″ L x 38″ W)
- King (80″ L x 76″ W)
- Cal King (84″ L x 72″ W)
The ChiliPad Cube 2.0 is a newer product that is getting great reviews on Amazon. I haven’t tried this product personally, but it appears to be very similar to BetJet (which is the next product in this article).
The benefits of this electric cooling blanket allow you to set different temperatures for each sleeping person. The ChiliPad Cube 2.0 has the options to set hot to cold per side of the bed to allow your partner to be able to sleep at a totally different temperature than you. Which means they don’t have to freeze if they don’t have the same sleeping issues as you’re having.
Detail & Features
- The ChiliPad Cube 2.0 electric cooling blanket utilizes an adjustable, water-based system to regulate the surface temperature of your existing mattress by actively circulating water through silicone micro-tubes in the pad
- Adjust each side to a temperature range of – 55 to -110F (12.8-43.3C)
- Designed with recovery benefits from cold therapy in mind, its cooling capabilities assist in reducing sleeplessness from hot flashes, menopause, body pain & night sweats, allowing a more relaxing sleep experience!
- Energy Efficient: power rating of 80 Watts per cube, significantly lower than A/C, and an auto-shutoff feature that activates after 10 hours
While the reviews of this product seem positive, it’s a little overpriced in my opinion. I would much rather recommend someone start with something like the YnM Cooling Weighted Blanket before jumping into such an electric cooling blanket.
BedJet V2 Climate Control for Beds, Cooling Fan + Heating Air (Dual Temperature Zone – King Size)
This is where we start to get serious about sleeping.
BetJet is the top choice here, and they have the two items that round out my list. BedJet is a more expensive product, but are excellent for controlling temperature. With disrespect to the previous items on this list, BetJet products are something you should really consider from the very beginning.
The first is BedJet V2 Climate Control. BedJet cooling is an elite choice for relief of stuffy bedrooms, hot sleepers, night sweats and hot flashes. Cooling mode power ventilates your bed, using room temperature air to wick out body heat and body moisture nearly instantly is felt within 10 seconds. However, it’s important to keep in mind that BedJet is not an air conditioner and not a substitute for zero air conditioning in extreme heat (80 degree+) bedrooms. Room temp needs to be below 79 degrees for best cooling.
- The BetJet is a perfect electric cooling blanket option for couples. Some like it hot and some need it cool. Some just want to stay dry and others need different sleep temperatures than their partners. This is why BetJet has become so popular. Using advanced technology the BedJet sends a gentle and quiet stream of air directly into your bed for powerful cooling and warming comfort.
- Forget bundling up with heavy pajamas for chilly winter beds and give your bedding that toasty hot sauna feeling in just seconds
- Dual-zone temperature control for independent cooling/warming of each half of the bed
- No wires, no tubes, no electricity in the bed, no mattress pads to sleep on, no water to leak, lifetime washable air filter
- Fits underneath any bed with 7” space, side rail clearance only needs to be 3.5”, adjustable bed approved
I found this video that helps better demonstrate how the BedJet works:
As I had mentioned, there are two main models, the first is specifically for the King Size bed. It includes 2 BedJet base units with 2 wireless remotes, 1 King AirComforter sheet plus free Bluetooth App for control from your iPhone, iPad or Android device. Amazon’s current return policy (30 days) applies when purchased from Amazon.
The other BedJet model was the one I bought. The BedJet V2 Climate Single includes 1 BedJet V2 base unit with quiet digital DC motor, wireless remote control plus free Bluetooth App for control from your iPhone, iPad or Android device, App features include auto-shutoff timers, wake up alarm, biorhythm sleep cycle settings, and custom temperature settings.
You can use the BedJet V2 with your own sheets or combine with our optional AirComforter for even better cooling performance.
I recommend buying all of these electric cooling blankets from Amazon, as you’ll get free shipping and be able to test out all the models knowing full well that Amazon has a strong return policy of 30 days. For all BetJet Models and optional AirComforters Click Here