The following article is a complete breakdown of the best french press coffee maker models on the market that I have researched and tested. This article explains what makes a great french press and should help you narrow down your search for finding the best coffee maker that fits your needs.
Best French Press Coffee Maker
I would classify myself as a heavy coffee drinker, but not a pretentious one. I don’t go to Starbucks very often, but when I do, my order is straightforward; a medium cup of black coffee to which I add a little cream and sugar and I’m good to go. I work from home mostly, so I make coffee at least twice throughout the day for myself. Over the years, the evolution of the coffee makers I have purchased got bigger and more complex. I liked coffee makers that would grind the beans for me, measure the right amount of water to add, and even give me digital options to how refined the grind was. However, that all changed after having my first cup of coffee from a French Press.
I remember it well, my wife and I took the kids to visit friends who lived out of town for the weekend. The first morning I woke up I was greeted with a nice cup of coffee, but I never saw it being brewed. I assumed it was some fancy new expensive coffee maker as the coffee was vibrant with flavor. At the time, I was currently looking for a new coffee maker after my $349 Breville maker had broke, so I was very curious to learn about what had made this great cup of joe. When I discovered the coffee was made from a French Press, I was amazed. I was in disbelief that something so simple could whip together such a great cup of coffee.
When we returned home a few days later, I went out to pick up my own French Press with the intention of it being a temporary replacement until I could find the next best thing as far as pro-style coffee makers go. But, it’s been over six months now, and I’m still using a French Press. I love the taste and my wife, and I love how much extra counter space we have in our kitchen now.
However, I should point out that I have tested out a few different French Press maker models. In fact, I met this guy working for a local department store that seemed to be a coffee fanatic. He was Barista that worked at this local hipster coffee shop part-time and also worked at the department store where I was shopping to buy the best french press coffee maker I could get my hands on. He was the perfect person to bounce questions off.
I was interested in learning that despite the fact that a French Press coffee maker was such a simple tool for brewing coffee, it has a few different versions. Some are cheaper than others while some seem to charge more for a more professional but don’t, in fact, brew better coffee.
The following are the six Best French Press Coffee Maker Models on the Market.
Vivreal Home: French Press Coffee Maker Coffee Press
34oz French Coffee Press with 304 Stainless Steel FDA Approved Food Grade Frame & Lid, German Glass– 122 Amazon Reviews
This is a very high-quality model and easily makes my list as one of the best french press coffee makers I’ve tried. What makes the Vivreal French Press better than most coffee makers is the filter system. Its unique four-level filter system and lid yield a richly flavored, grit-free cup every time. The design includes stainless steel and a new generation of glass that is 40% thicker than standard coffee makers, which can resist chips, stains, and scratches. The carafe has a heat resistance up to 392 Fahrenheit. It’s FDA certificated as food-grade premium quality.
The only downside to this model is that the coffee will not stay hot for too long. As you will see from some of the other best french press coffee marker models I have suggested, I have grown to love the kettle version more, as it allows the coffee to stay warm longer. However, this is a minor complaint. The Vivreal Home French Press Coffee Maker has over 100+ five-star reviews and a trendy model.
- Excellent filter system
- Made with Stainless Steel, and thicker glass than most French Press models
- Modern design, nice grip.
- Dishwasher safe
Brillante Small French Press Coffee Maker
Mini French Press: Single Serve Cafetiere: Makes 12 Ounce / 3 Cups– 279 Amazon Reviews
Not everyone is looking to serve coffee to a group of people or drink 2 to 3 cups a day. Some people are also not huge coffee drinkers but do enjoy one cup of coffee before getting ready for work in the mornings or on the weekends. Brillante makes one of the best French Press coffee maker designs for singles. They call it a mini French Press that is perfect for one cup. I have heard this model is perfect for offices that serve gross instant coffee. People will take these mini french presses to work and easily brew their coffee. As you can see from the designs, this French Press is quite small but packs a punch, brewing excellent, flavorful coffee.
- 12 ounce (350ml) capacity makes this a good coffee press for one-mug brews whether you are at home or traveling.
- German-Made Borosilicate Glass
- Plastic portions are BPA-free
- Temperature Resistant Design
- Easy to Clean, Dishwasher Safe
Aztecus Premium French Coffee Maker
French Press Makes 34 Oz/1000ML– 21 Amazon Reviews
This is a more modern style. I’m including this model on my best french press coffee marker list as a local restaurant started using these as a part of their menu. If two or more people ordered coffee, they would bring you your own French Press. I got to sample this example model and really liked it. I found the filter system to be above average and the consensus review on Amazon was that this model was sturdy and would last a long time.
- This French coffee maker features double walls to help keep your coffee hot and fresh for long without making the outside too hot to handle.
- The meshed filters deliver a pure and tasty coffee cup every time.
- The ergonomic, cool-touch handle and knob provide you with comfortable and safe coffee or tea pouring experience
- Easy to clean
Secura 1000ML French Press Coffee Maker
34-Ounce, Stainless Steel 18/10 SFP-34DSC, Extra Stainless Steel Screen– 129 Amazon Reviews
This is the french press coffee maker that our friends from out of town had. It brews a lot of coffee 1 liter to be exact (34 ounces). Made from top-quality 18/10 stainless steel, both the interior and exterior and claims it is made to outlast other coffee makers. The Secura French Press has a 3-layered stainless steel filter construction, with a bonus stainless steel filter.
This model might be too big for just one person, but it’s ideal for a couple who will have a big cup (and a half) of coffee in the morning. As I mentioned above, I tend to prefer a French Press coffee maker that is built more like a kettle to keep the coffee warm. This model is one of my favorites.
- The 3-layered stainless steel filter system
- Includes a bonus stainless steel screen. A filter screen is easy to disassemble and clean. Stack one or more screens together gives your espresso a more refined taste
- This French press maker comes with Cool touch handle and knob for comfortable and safe pouring
- Dishwasher safe
Quiseen Double Wall Stainless Steel French Press Coffee Maker
1 Liter capacity – 8 4oz cups that serve 2-3 people– 215 Amazon Reviews
With an overall grade of 5 stars on Amazon with 200+ reviews, it’s safe to say there are a lot of people that would dub the Quiseen Double Wall one of the best french press coffee makers available. The design of the spout is what people seem to love the most. It has an air-tight seal and the arrow on the lid and a large deep opening make serving your coffee is super easy. The design and feel of this French Press are very smooth yet sturdy. I could see this model lasting years.
- Easily detachable parts, dishwasher safe
- 1 Liter capacity – 8 4oz cups that serve 2-3 people
- Stainless Steel Double-Wall to keep coffee warm for longer
- Durable, quality build with an attractive, elegant design
Frieling USA Double Wall Metal French Press
Features Patented Dual Screen, Polished, 36-Ounce– 1921 Amazon Reviews
Where other coffee makers have more style or added features, the Frieling USA Double French Press focuses on what’s important, making an excellent cup of coffee. This was the French press I ended up purchasing after many hours’ worth of research. I can honestly say this is the best french press coffee maker on the market, and with over 1900+ positive reviews on Amazon, I’m not alone. The other French Press makers on my list are all outstanding, but if you’re looking for the best of the best you can’t go wrong with Frieling. I’ll admit, this model is a little more costly than an average french press, but overall it’s an absolute bargain compared to the fancy coffee makers on the market or even just an average coffee maker of the same price.
- Double-wall 18/10 stainless-steel French press
- 36-ounce capacity measures 10-inches high
- 2 stage filter system uses a pre-filter & super-fine mesh filter for zero sediments
- Carafe doubles as an insulated serving pitcher; retains heat four times longer than glass
- Dishwasher safe; 5-year warranty against manufacturing defects
- The all-steel mesh plunger mechanism
- 33-Ounces; 9-inch tall; the body has a 4-inch diameter
Other French Press Coffee Makers
Best French Press Coffee Maker Tips
How Does A French Press Coffee Maker Work?
Now that you’ve narrowed down which best french press coffee maker to buy, I thought I’d include a few bonus tips and also explain how a French Press actually works for those foreign to the concept. It can seem simple, but there are some great techniques I’ve learned that I’ve like to share with anyone who is looking to pick up a French Press.
First the Basics: How to Use a French Press
- Grind The Coffee Beans: Depending on how strong you like your coffee, use coarse ground coffee that resembles sea salt in your press, and measure two tablespoons per 6 ounces of water.
- Add Water: Fill the press with hot water that’s around one minute off the boil. Make sure to saturate all the grounds and pour the water in a small circular motion to ensure all the of the coffee grounds circulate throughout the French Press
- Place the Plunger on top (but don’t press yet) – This step can be adjusted as a way to change the brewing process of your coffee. If you like your coffee strong, I would add extra time to how long you wait before you plunge. Typically, the recommended wait time is 4 minutes
- Plunge and Pour: Make sure you plunge slowly to ensure all coffee grounds are pushed to the bottom and don’t end up in your coffee. Depending on the type of French Press coffee maker you have, hold the top of the plunger as you pour.
Tips for Making the Best French Cup of Coffee
- Use A Coarser Grind With A Longer Brew Time – As I mentioned above the way to enhance your coffee and get it to a flavor point that is just right for you, try different grind types with longer brew times. An extra coarse grind with a longer brew time can lead to really clean cups with a surprising crispness to the acidity.
- Use A High-Quality Grinder: Try not to grind the coffee too fine. This is a common mistake when making a French Press. The wrong grind size is going to create a significantly more “muddy” cup as fines are able to pass through and clog your screened filter easier.